A Timeline of Local History

- - significant local events described in articles on this website

500 - 1000 CE

Anglo-Saxon burials

Searobyrg (hill fort)

Battle of Sarum 552 CE

Fortified burh at Old Sarum (Searobyrg in the late Anglo-Saxon period Dr Alex Langlands reviews the evidence.

Alfred orders Old Sarum to be reinforced in 871

Grants by King Edgar of lands at Avon (Farm) or Afene

Parliament held by King Edgar in 960 at Old Sarum

Eduuard Saresberiensis, or (D’) Evreux, or Edward the Rich, pre conquest Earl of Sarum and Sheriff of Wiltshire

11th Century

Sweyn Forkbeard - future King of England came to Old Sarum  1003 CE

William the Conqueror

King of England was at Old Sarum in 1070 and 1086

St Osmund

Second Bishop of the original Sarum cathedral  

Walter D’Evreux,  the first post conquest Earl of Sarum

Stratford. First documented use of the name

12th Century

Thomas Becket

Archbishop / visitor to Old Sarum

 

John of Salisbury

Secretary to Thomas Becket

Eleanor of Aquitaine

A Queen of England, imprisoned at Old Sarum

Leper Hospital and cemetery. (Henry II coin in ditch)

Stones carved for Old Sarum later reused in St Lawrence Church

Font made, now in St Lawrence Church

13th Century

St Lawrence Church has (at least)13th origins

Henry of Avranches and his poem "On the translation of the old church of Salisbury and the construction of the new."

14th Century

Newtown at Salterton established

 

Hangings at Old Sarum in the 14th century

Land Dispute 1321

Taxes paid by Stratford Residents

16th Century

John Leland

Antiquarian & Travel Writer visited around 1540

Dissolution of the Monasteries. Wilton Abbey Lands granted to Earl of Pembroke

Taxes paid by Stratford Residents

Maps of Wiltshire and Britain by Saxton and Lilly respectively

(on pages 2 & 3 of document on Local History Drive, external site)

17th Century

Establishment of the Stratford Water Meadows 

 

John Aubrey

Antiquarian & Travel Writer visited Old Sarum in 1660

Celia Fiennes

Travel writer visited Old Sarum late 17th C

Samuel Pepys

Diary & Travel Writer visited 1668

The Pitt Family 

Living in Stratford 17 C

William of Orange, King of England

marched through Stratford with his troops when still a Prince in 1688

Charles II

King of England, fled from Cromwell’s Troops after the Battle of Worcester in 1651.

Pulpit in St Lawrence Church made

Maps of Wiltshire published by Speed and Blaue

(on pages 4 & 5 of document on Local History drive, an external site)

18th Century

Samuel Curwen

Travel Writer, visited in 1776

Daniel Defoe

Author & Travel Writer, visited early 18th C

Camp Hill and the Dragoons Regiments 1757 Encampment

Captain William Mudge in June 1794 began the first definitive mapping survey of Great Britain for Ordnance Survey, at Old Sarum

Nicholas Elliot Esq. An Account of Land held by him at Stratford 1748

Frances Nisbet  The future Viscountess Nelson marked the death of her first husband Josiah Nisbet with a memorial plaque inside St Lawrence Church.

A Map of Wiltshire, taken from an Actual Survey. 1773 Andrews and Dury

(page 7 of a document held on Local History drive, external site)

The Pitt Family 

Church benefactors & family of a Prime Minister, living at Mawarden Court

The Old Sarum Tunnel Excavation late 18th C

 

1762 The Marlborough to Salisbury Turnpike ran along the line of the A345 past Old Sarum    Turnpikes & Milestones

19th Century

1800 Common land in Stratford taken into ownership following the Inclosure Act of 1799 

 

Earl of Pembroke’s mid-19th century programme of farmstead construction on the Wilton Estate included Avon Farm - a 19C 'Model Farm'  (see page 3 of doc)

Ordnance Survey Map First Edition published by William Mudge 1817

Sale of Stratford Manor 1818

William Cobbett Travel Writer, wrote about his visit in 1826

John Constable  Artist & painter here in (at least) 1821, 1829, 1834

1832 Reform Act ends Old Sarum's Rotten Borough Status

Village School built 1840

Edward Caswall Stratford Clergyman & hymn writer, lived at Mawarden Court 1840-47

Coachbuilding Apprentice 1877

Reading Room built in 1881

The Drowner's Cottage

Magic Lantern Slides  Mill Lane and Old Sarum

Benchmarks Cut By Ordnance Survey

Old Sarum - the first major earthwork to come under guardianship of the Office of Works 1892.

20th Century

Stratford Mill destroyed by fire 1900

Consequences of driving a pony & trap without lights 1903

Old Sarum Isolation Hospital built 1911, in use for troops during WW1

WW1 The Stratford sub Castle Nine 

WW1 Lake Airfield and the Druids' Lodge Water Tower

Commonweath War Graves

Land Sale 1920 on behalf of the Church Commissioners

Reginald Coggan bought Parsonage Farm in 1921, the start of 100 years of a family living and working in Stratford sub Castle. Coggan Family 

Life at Mawarden Court in the 1920's & 1930's 

An account by John Henry Cook, son of the Rev William Henry Cook.

Hudson's Field purchased for public use and as 'An open space for ever'

Closure of the last Stratford blacksmiths

Village Post Office in 1932

Air crash. Fatal Auto Giro Crash 1935

Public Water supply provided by Salisbury City Council 1940 (see page 3 of document).

WW2 Bunker

WW2 Dragon's Teeth

WW2 Millers Close air-raid shelter

WW2 Secret Spitfire Sites

WW2 Old Sarum Airfield - fake hedges

WW2 pillbox on Old Sarum?

WW2 - Waterproofing & Rocket Projector Battery

The Go Between  by L P Hartley published 1957

Air crash 1957, an Avro Anson C2, on the Stratford Road at the gate to Hudson’s Field. 

Mitchell's Later Allen's Cottages - demolished 1961

The Durnford estate sold to the Earl of Chichester 1966

Domesday revisited - 1986 BBC Project

Contributions  by pupils of Stratford sub Castle Primary School

1992 closure of the last remaining village shop and post office

Old Sarum View reverts to being a private house

21st Century

Old Sarum Landscapes Project

Set up in 2014 by Southampton University to study the archaeology of Old Sarum and its surroundings including Stratford sub Castle.  

Streetlighting upgrade to LED in 2020

Many of the articles that appear in the History section of this website were written by members of the

Stratford sub Castle Local History Group.

 

Group contact details are here