Commonwealth War Graves
We are privileged to look after the forty-seven World War One Commonwealth War Graves on behalf of the War Graves Commission. These graves are situated on the north side of the Church.
Most of the people buried in these graves died at the Salisbury Isolation Hospital which was situated on the Portway, close to what is now Old Sarum Airfield. At that time it was part of the Parish of Stratford sub Castle. It was built in 1911 and remained a hospital until 1951. Latterly it was used as a centre for Adults with Learning Needs before being demolished in 2012 for housing development.
You can view a list of the names of the 47 serviceman and one nurse who were buried in these graves from WW1, in the document on the right:
There are also two World War Two graves - those of R.E. Ginder RAF and D.D. Rawlins RAF War Graves Commission WW2 details here
In addition to the War Graves, the Church also records the deaths of nine soldiers who had connections with Stratford-sub-Castle and who were killed on active service overseas during World War One. All but two of these soldiers died in France or Belgium, with one dying in Greece and the other in Mesopotamia. The names of all these soldiers are recorded inside the Church on the South Wall adjacent to the Organ Gallery stairs and in the Wayside Cross booklet available in the Church.
We will Remember Them - Remembrance Day Exhibition 11 November 2018
Word doc: plan of the War Graves