top of page

A post from the News page - view all News

Stratford Guild REVIEW 9 April talk - Laverstock Asylum - a kindly tradition - 175 years of mental health care

  • Writer: RW
    RW
  • Apr 9
  • 3 min read

Updated: Apr 29

The local historian Ruth Newman was an especially welcome speaker at this meeting of the Stratford sub Castle Guild being well known to many, maybe most, of the audience. Her attractive and skilful presention introduced us to some local medical care. The leading message of this talk is important, namely that the care of the mentally unsound in the 19th century was essentially kindly, sympathetic and constructive. 


There were two asylums in the Salisbury area, one in the central triangle of Laverstock village (where there are now houses) was occupied by the asylum, an asylum being a place of safe refuge.  Laverstock, together with another similar institution at Fisherton, set a progressive pattern of care, enclosed but sympathetic.  The treatment of King George III in his madness had a lasting impact.  Ownership was by a doctor, Dr Finch, starting with a his private patients in 1781.  These were joined by criminals being those in court described as ‘Guilty but Insane’.  However there were disruptive elements (much howling and shrieking) and these were removed to Roundway House in Devizes.


Occasionally patients would stay for years in Laverstock: William Fowles stayed for 35 years.  The Scots poet Campbell sent his son Thomas, at aged 18 being increasingly disturbed, with full of praise for Dr Finch.  This was a commercial enterprise with 120 patients in 1816.  There were no restraints except for high brick walls, no straight jackets and only a couple of padded cells.

Laverstock House in the 1930s


Image left: Laverstock House in the 1930s.








Entertainments were provided, including riding and hunting.  There was a large park with trees, one large ash still in existence.  There were 64 bedrooms with 19 privies (water closets).  Regulation was by frequent visits.  This was care in the community and not just for the rich, fees varied according to wealth.



The presence of the institution was welcomed in the village and there were parties with the villagers taking part.


In any case it provided employment with 24 staff for the 46 patients. Dr Finch died in 1848 and the family involvement ceased.  The new owner was Dr Manning.  In 1870 Julia Wood arrived as a patient from the Ecstatic Shakers of the New Forest.  A nephew got her admitted – she suffered from religious hallucinations.


Sadly the institution closed in 1955 due to bankruptcy.  However it established a new approach to insanity featuring kindliness and understanding which spread throughout the country.  It has persisted ever since.  It set the fashion.


Charles VilliersRu

nclosed but sympathetic. The treatment of King George III in his

madness had a lasting impact. Ownership was by a doctor, Dr Finch,

starting with his private patients in 1781. These were joined by

criminals being those in court described as ‘Guilty but Insane’. However

there were disruptive elements (much howling and shrieking) and these

were removed to Roundway House in Devizes. Occasionally patients

would stay for years in Laverstock: William Fowles stayed for 35 years.

The Scots poet Campbell sent his son Thomas, at aged 18 being

ind, with full of praise for Dr Finch. This was a

commercial enterprise with 120 patients in 1816. There were no

restraints except for high brick walls, no straight jackets and only a

couple of padded cells.

Entertainments were provided, including riding and hunting. There was

a large park with trees, one large ash is still in existence. There were

64 bedrooms with 19 privies (water closets). Regulation was by frequent

visits. This was ‘Care in the Community’ and not just for the rich: fees

varied according to wealth.

The presence of the institution was welcomed in the village of

Laverstock and there were parties with the villagers taking part.

In any case it provided employment with 24 staff for the 46 patients.

Dr Finch died in 1848 and the family involvement ceased. The new








Do you have something of local interest that could be added to the website? Articles, News stories, Posters or Images are always welcome. Please email details to sscvillagewebsite@gmail.com 

bottom of page