www.stratfordsubcastle.org.uk is a non-profit site maintained on a voluntary basis by local residents.

To check when the website was last updated -  View list of new and updated webpages 

The Wayside Cross 

The Wayside Cross was made a Grade 2 listed Memorial by Historic England in 2017, as part of a centenary project to ensure that war memorials are protected and the people they commemorate are remembered. Historic England is aiming to list more than 2,500 over the First World War centenary period 2014-2018.

The monument is sited on the western boundary of St Lawrence Churchyard and provides a focus for the annual Remembrance Sunday commemorations..

 

A booklet (see image right) is the story of nine local men who went to war in 1914-1918 and were killed in action overseas. Seven of them have no known graves and two are buried in graveyards on the Somme. Their names are on a memorial board in the Church and were engraved on the Wayside Cross in 2014.

  • John Henry Waters

  • William Waterman

  • George Goodridge

  • George Reginald Mundy

  • Frederick Stevens

  • Alfred George Humphries

  • Jesse Thomas Ford

  • Charles Thomas Long

  • Joseph James Scadden

This is part of the history of Stratford sub Castle and the booklets are available in the church in the right hand box pew in the chancel, and underneath the memorial board at the rear of the church on the South wall. Contributions in the region of £1 gratefully received for church funds.

We Will Remember Them - A special exhibition was held on 11 November 2018 - photo gallery here