A News story published in The Times this week reveals that documents held in the Swindon and Wiltshire History Centre archive had been mis-placed during cataloguing in the last century. The documents showed that the area around Old Sarum continued to thrive for another 250 years after the old cathedral site was abandoned, and became an important part of the international wool trade.
Ten deeds found in a Registrum Rubrum, a register of bishops' documents, cover 1194-1456 and show that a wool market was established here under Edward 1 in the 1280s. The deeds uncovered by University of Swansea doctoral student June Effemey, name 90 previously unknown landowners and 375 plots of land, features and streets.
Archaeologists from Southampton University and Swansea University have already shared evidence of the network of streets they discovered when accompanied by local volunteers involved in the Old Sarum Landscapes Project in 2016 & 2017. Read their report here.