top of page

Now reopened - the A360 between Camp Hill and A303




The A360 Devizes Road has now re-opened between Camp Hill and the A303 and there are no longer local diversions.


 


Previous news story 2 April 2024

The A360 road closure from Camp Hill* northwards to the A303, is now in force. There is a temporay 7.5T weight restriction on local roads including C57 Snakey Hill with an exemption for loading and unloading. Lighter vehicles and cyclists can access the A360 Devizes Road southbound from Snakey Hill but there is no access northwards from this junction.


Original News Story 27 March 2024

The A345 Castle Road will be part of the diversion route for the planned 3-month closure of the A360 for high voltage cables to be laid to supply electricity to the A303 Stonehenge Tunnel.


"The A303 Stonehenge project needs an electricity supply for construction and for the tunnel once built. Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN), working on behalf of National Highways, will be carrying out work along the A360 to provide power. We will be installing high voltage and fibre optic cabling along this route.


To allow the work to be done as safely and as quickly as possible, a section of the A360 will be temporarily closed to the south of the A303 between Longbarrow roundabout and The Avenue roundabout between April and July this year.


During the closure, traffic will be diverted via the A345 and sections of the A303 and A36. Road signs will be in place to direct traffic to alternative routes."


A Notice has been issued advising that a 7.5T weight limit will apply to local minor roads, including the C42 at Stratford Bridge (with an exemption for loading and unloading) whilst the A360 is closed, expected to last from 2 April until 13 July - Wiltshire Council Official Notice further down this page.


From SSE website

weight limit during A360 closure
.pdf
Download PDF • 72KB


* Why is the area called 'Camp Hill'? The Royal Regiment of Dragoons was based there in the mid-18th century.


"There would have been hundreds of men and horses and all their equipment.

Their Colonel was Lieutenant General Henry Hawley who was also Governor of Portsmouth. He died in 1759. The camp was conveniently sited because down the other side (west) of the hill was Wilton House. Henry (10th) Earl of Pembroke was the Army’s authority on cavalry training for horses and men. In 1755 he had built an indoor riding school at Wilton House. He later became the Regiment’s Colonel for thirty years (1764-1794)."


Extract from an article on this website - see https://www.stratfordsubcastle.org.uk/camp-hill


Comments


A post from the News page - view all News

 

Do you have something of local interest that could be added to the website? Articles, news stories or images are always welcome.

 

Please email details to sscvillagewebsite@gmail.com

bottom of page