The Vicar's House, [Dated 1673] Stratford Sub-Castle ca. 1942.
Henry Samuel Merritt (1884-1963) Pen and ink and watercolour drawing on paper.
V and A Museum Prints & Drawings Study Room, level H, case RB, shelf 31 Museum number: E.2479-1949.
© Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
This was one of Sir Kenneth Clark’s “Recording the Changing Face of Britain” wartime paintings scheme. Sir Kenneth Clark was Director of the National Gallery.
The V&A hold one other Merritt watercolour of Stratford sub Castle and three of the Woodford Valley.
Mawarden Court served as a vicarage for almost a century 1849 to 1947*. Read an account of its 20th C use in this role here https://www.stratfordsubcastle.org.uk/mawarden-court
* 'Stratford-sub-Castle', in A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 6, ed. Elizabeth Crittall (London, 1962), pp. 199-213. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol6/pp199-213 [accessed 12 December 2020].