Stratford sub Castle - name & spelling variations,
revised April 2020

Use the + and - buttons on the viewer to change the text size. 

extract from a 1571 map

extract from
a 1646 map

extract from
a 1775 map

The PDF doc displayed in the viewer can also be downloaded here.

Possibilities for the FORD in Stratford include:

  • That from the Roman settlement around Castle Keep crossing near Tadpole Island in a line with Folly Lane, probably the oldest of these options and the southernmost;

  • Somewhere around the Avon Bridge and Dean’s Farm as part of the village of Stratford Dean and as the northernmost of these options;

  • Between these two, from Mill Lane (Stinkpot Alley) and by the mill(s).

Most of the village for most of the post Domesday years has been in the Hundred of Underditch. Its spelling too has been fluid.

 

 

Check when the website was last updated  -  click to view list of changes with links
www.stratfordsubcastle.org.uk is a non-profit site maintained on a voluntary basis by local residents.