From the Archives
The Mill House at Stratford Struck and Burnt Down
Wiltshire Times, 4 August 1900
During the storm on Sunday, the old mill-house on the Avon at Stratford Sub Castle was stuck by lightening, which set fire to the roof, and in the space of an hour, the whole place was practically gutted. The occupants of the cottage at the east end of the building having barely time to save the furniture on the ground floor. As far as can be ascertained, no one saw the building struck, but the occupants of the cottage, hearing a tremendous crash, went out to see what had happened, and discovered the roof of the mill was on fire. The whole of the upper part of the building was ablaze in an incredibly short space of time. Efforts were made to get the furniture out of the adjacent cottage, occupied by one of the employees, but the fire spread so rapidly it was only found possible to save that on the ground floor. Before the Fire Brigade had got fairly to work, the roof fell in and the interior of the mill and the cottage was practically destroyed, the damage amounting to several hundred pounds.
Source: www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk accessed 23/9/18
(on-line parish clerk)